Monday, March 21, 2005

Part 2 of 3.

I kept the news on for hours. Switching between networks, I caught every evening broadcast in Chicago. They all told the same story.

The fellow who asked me for change in that alley let me pass in the sunlight, then went back to his hunt for cans in the garbage bins. Simultaneously, I entered the school and he found a dead 3-year-old boy in the trash.

The baby was wrapped in a plastic bag.

Investigation unfolded as I watched the news, dumbfounded. Five other children from the boy's family were taken into protective custody. The parents were questioned. A search party went out to find their oldest daughter, 17, who had been babysitting her siblings that afternoon.

A day later, they found her trying to break into a school building in the suburbs. She was hungry and alone. Without a translator, she couldn't be questioned. She sat in jail overnight.

And that is the last we heard of the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home